A Candidate is a project proposed for incubation. A Candidate project needs to have a Champion. The champion is a member of the OSDU Forum and assists the candidate project team on their initial submission. The champion educates the Candidate team about the OSDU way and helps the team prepare the project for the questions and issues likely to be raised by the wider OSDU forum.
The candidate team need to first decide whether to incubate at the OSDU Forum and work with the Champion to prepare a proposal. The candidate should discuss the proposal with the OSDU OMC and PMC members and should include how they plan to execute and sustain the initiative if the candidate was approved (see further below).
A candidate project may also optionally have:
- relationship to another existing OSDU platform project rather than become a stand-alone incubator;
- extra requirements that may be needed during incubation;
- a summary of relationships with existing or planned OSDU platform projects.
Naturally, projects will need more than this in order to graduate from incubation status.
- Decide to incubate at the OSDU Forum
- Discuss the proposal with the OSDU OMC and PMC members
- Provide the list of initial committers and contributors in the proposal
A candidate project may then be proposed by the Champion for acceptance as an incubating Podling. Approval of a project shall be subject to a vote of the Sponsor.
The Sponsor is either an existing project team within the OSDU that makes the determination that the candidate would make a worthy addition to their project or the OSDU platform or the Sponsor can be the OMC deciding strategically that the project is a worthy addition to the OSDU platform (such as introduction of new unrelated domains/projects). The Sponsor and the candidate project team agree to take the Candidate and help it complete the incubation process.
Should the vote pass, the Sponsor will request that the PMC accept the Candidate as a Podling under incubation. The Sponsor shall then proceed to assign several Mentors, including PMC members.
Before incubation begins, the Champion is expected to:
- help with any process/Open Group related issues before the Candidate enters incubation
- help identify any issues that may stop the Candidate from graduation to formal OSDU project or cause difficultly in the incubation process
- drive the process of entering the Incubator, leading to a vote to accept the proposed podling
After the Candidates acceptance the Champion role may end, or they continue to help the Candidate as a Mentor.