Skip to content

Merging the Spring 6 Fork back

David Diederich requested to merge spring6-merge into master

This MR brings the osdu/platform/system/lib/core/os-core-common-spring6> fork back into a single repository for long term maintenance.

Because of the STABLE_RELEASE variable set in the .gitlab-ci.yml file, the release scripts will establish new release branches (release/1 and release/1.0) and a new tag (v1.0.0) to represent this version.

What this MR brings in

I grabbed the current version of the Spring6 Fork (ac69c96f) and used it as the basis. I merged the Spring5's master in with an "ours" strategy -- it lists that branch as a parent, but doesn't try to incorporate the code. This will make the merging back cleaner, I believe.

I had to update a few extra variables and configurations to prepare it for use with the new release strategy.

New MRs after this one

After this merges, both the release/0 and release/1 branches will be maintained. The Spring5 based code will remain on release/0 and will be updating in tags starting from 0.27.3. The master branch have the Spring6 based code.

If you have an MR, and it reasonably applies to both:

• Branch from master, do your work
  • Open an MR, set an appropriate Impact label
  • Merge back into master -- a new tag in the 1.x family will be created with your work
  • Cherry-pick the MR to release/0 and merge -- a new tag in the 0.x family will be created with your cherry-pick

If it only applies to the spring6 code

• Branch from master, do your work
  • Merge back into master -- a new tag in the 1.x family will be created with your work

If it only applies to the spring5 code

• Branch from release/0, do your work
  • Merge back into release/0 -- a new tag in the 0.x family will be created with your work

If we end up making another ImpactMajor MR on master, then this extends one logical level -- we'll have a 2.x release family for that, which can be cherry-picked back to release/1 and/or release/0. At some point, we will have completely transitioned away from the spring5 code (0.x), then we can stop backporting patches to that branch.

Edited by David Diederich

Merge request reports