Skip to content

Upgrade AKS to 1.24

Arturo Hernandez [EPAM] requested to merge 232-upgrade-aks-to-1-24 into master

All Submissions:

• [YES] Have you added an explanation of what your changes do and why you'd like us to include them? Added docs on how to proceed with AKS upgrade
  • [YES] I have updated the documentation accordingly.
  • [YES] My code follows the code style of this project.

Current Behavior or Linked Issues

• AKS running in v0.21.7 which has being deprecated by Microsoft.
  • Go cache implemented in azure pipeline for faster azure devops executions.

Does this introduce a breaking change?

• [YES]

Described already in documentation, break changes are mostly in the application side, istio, agic, cert-manager, pod-identity and keda, if this is planned to be applied in brownfield deployment, need to update application first.

Other information

• AKS Upgrade from 1.21.x to _1.24.0 One-minor-release-upgrade
  • AKS Upgrade WARN: Minor upgrades version cannot be skipped, need to change aks version variable several times if you plan to upgrade from 1.21.x to 1.24.x, I.E 1.21.x -> 1.22.x -> 1.23.x -> 1.24.x.
  • Consider azure recommendations while upgrading AKS considerations doc
    • Setup surge on nodes ()
    • Check your subscription limits (cpu and memory for new surge nodes)
    • Upgrade speed will rely on this setting, it can take up to 40m for 5 nodes, therefore, for 40 nodes it might take up to 3hrs, if surge it is not set in the nodepools.
  • Need to use latest osdu-istio m12, as the CRD's will be deprecated, most likely you may found issue, which can be resolved by re-installing istio helm charts.
    • base-1.2.0
    • istio-operator-1.8.0
    • osdu-istio-1.1.6
  • OSDU charts will not work anymore if are not greater than v0.15.0 (m12)
  • If you want to avoid downtime, would recommend first to upgrade istio, cert-manager, agic, and keda first prior to continue with the infrastructure upgrade.
    • Istio can be upgraded through helm charts
    • cert-manager and agic either with helm commands or terraform -target to isolate the upgrade.
  • If you're still using KEDA1 - Upgrade manually to keda2. Follow this Documentation to do it: Keda Upgrade

Closes #232 (closed)

Merge request reports