[Reference and Helper Services] Unit Service
The Unit service provides dimension/measurement and unit definitions. Given two unit definitions, the service also offers conversion parameters in two different parameterizations.
- Measurements are organized in a hierarchy.
- The Dimension is the root measurement;
- A ChildMeasurement has a parent Measurement, which can be another ChildMeasurement or a Dimension.
- Units are associated with a Dimension (root or base measurement)
- Unit conversions are possible if the two units belong the the same Dimension.
- The catalog may contain definitions from multiple source catalogs. Namespaces are used to distinguish the contributions.
- Mappings are defined where a measurement or a unit has the same meaning in different namespaces.
Further details are elaborated here