OSDU REST API Standards
Context and Scope
Standardization has a positive impact for successful software development.
REST API standards makes sure that all the developers working on the project are following certain specified guidelines.
This is especially critical for OSDU community, where many teams develop independently and produce dozens of common APIs.
The code should be easily understood and proper consistency maintained.
Currently, REST API standards are not defined in the community. It leads to the following issues:
- Poor code readability
- Difficult onboarding
- Same functionality redundancy
- Versioning mess
- Security Concerns
- Performance Issues
Define, adopt and enforce a single REST API standard for the community. Improve API quality and maintainability.
Achieve the following advantages:
- Consistent design across an community’s APIs to ensure the smoothest possible experience for developers using OSDU platform.
- Standardization in design to make APIs feel familiar.
- Minimization the learning curve as developers;
- Design improvement making using APIs easy and intuitive.
The following definition of REST API Standard should be adopted and enforced:
All CSPs will need to:
- enforce and follow the adopted REST API Standard in their teams;
- start contributing only compliant new REST API;
- refactoring existing REST API where possible;