Skip to content

Reduce info logs for core services

Alok Joshi requested to merge use_debug_log into master

All Submissions:

• [YES] I have added an explanation of what changes in this merge do and why we should include it?
  • [YES] I have updated the documentation accordingly.
  • [NA] I have added tests to cover my changes.
  • [YES] All new and existing tests passed.
  • [YES] My code follows the code style of this project.
  • [NA] I ran lint checks locally prior to submission.

What is the issue or story related to the change?

This change is an effort to reduce info logs for core services. Combining all the AKS services we deploy in our prod, customer environments, we regularly see ContainerLog usage crossing 200 or 300gb daily. Since ApplicationInsight logging is not cheap, this is incurring huge costs.

With this change, we are reducing the number of trace logs that are otherwise not required for 'happy path' for a service request. Please see attached an example of Storage's POST /query/records api request log details from our dev env.

trace_logs

The highlighted entries seem unnecessary and given the volume of requests, add up to quite a lot of size. This change aims to remove these entries to cost-optimize logging.

Test coverage:

No change

Does this introduce a breaking change?

No

Pending items

Reviewer request

• Please provide an ETA when you plan to review this MR. Write a comment to decline or provide an ETA.
  • Block the MR if you feel there is less testing or no details in the MR
  • Please cover the following aspects in the MR -- Coding design: <Reviewer1> -- Backward Compatibility: <Reviewer2> -- Feature Logic: <Logic design> -- <Any other context mention here> OR -- <Component 1>: <Reviewer1> -- <CosmosDB>: <Reviewer2> -- <ServiceBus> <Reviewer3> -- <Mention any other component and owner>

Other information

Edited by MANISH KUMAR

Merge request reports