The overall versioning strategy for OSDU products is still in initial draft state. Members of The OSDU Forum can see and comment on the proposed governance.
Each release of OSDU libraries and services will have a major/minor version pair (such as "1.0") that represents the release. Release numbers that match across different services are meant to be considered a package -- that is, they were released at the same time. The specific numbers in the version are increased with each release (in the normal way), but importantly are not synchronized to any other milestone name, including monikers such as "R3" or "M1".
These releases are created as branches with the prefix
release/, so that the release can be updated with additional patches later. Patches of this nature will not introduce new features, but instead will only apply bugfixes or minor updates.
Each release branch will contain tags, one for each patch released under that version. The tags will be named with a
v prefix and will repeat the version number (such as "v1.0.0"). All release branches will have at least a ".0" patch, but may gain additional tags if patches are applied after branch creation.
- R2 Gitlab milestone - 0.3.0
- R3 Milestone 1/2 deliverables - 0.4.0
- R3 Milestone 3 deliverables - 0.5.0
- R3 Milestone 4 deliverables - 0.7.0
- R3 Milestone 5 deliverables - 0.8.0
- R3 Milestone 6 deliverables - 0.9.0
- R3 Milestone 7 deliverables - 0.10.0
- R3 Milestone 8 deliverables - 0.11.0
Development timeline for milestones
Each OSDU milestone starts with about 1.5 months of development, followed by the check points of: feature freeze, code freeze, code tagging process, deployment into pre shipping environment by CSP teams, and validation in pre shipping environment.
Please note that:
- Feature freeze is for completion of features development on common code
- Between ‘Feature Freeze’ and ‘Code Freeze’:
- No new features, No common code change
- Only bug fixes, CSP specific changes, stabilizing pipeline
- Release coordinator (current that is David D.) completes the code tagging
- Deployed to pre shipping date is target date for CSP teams to deploy the tagged milestone baseline into pre shipping env so that pre shipping team is ready to execute the tests.
- Public release date is after the validation from pre shipping team. The date may change depending on the validation results.
Below is the current planned date for upcoming OSDU milestone releases.
|Milestones||Feature Freeze||Code Freeze||Code Tagging Completed||Deployed to Pre Shipping||Public Release|
- M10 cycle is longer with consideration of Christmas and new year holiday